If you were granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), or have TPS you may be eligible to travel outside of the United States through Advance Parole. To be granted advance parole, you must show that your travel outside of the United States will be for (1) educational, (2) employment or (3) humanitarian purposes. For example:

  1. Educational purposes- such as a semester studying abroad
  2. Employment purposes- such as an overseas conference, training or meeting
  3. Humanitarian purposes- such as travel to attend funeral for a family member, visit ailing relative or obtain medical treatment

Remember, if you travel outside the United States without first receiving advance parole, USCIS will automatically terminate your deferred action. You must first file your application for advance parole, and be approved before exiting the United States. Travel for vacation is not a valid purpose.



Benefits of Advance Parole
Advance parole may be able to help your immigration case in other ways. Once you have returned to the United States under a grant of advance parole, you would be inspected by an immigration officer and as such, have a valid entry into the U.S. With this, you may be eligible for adjustment of status here in the United States. In other words, if you have a United States Citizen immediate relative, such as a spouse or child over 21, which can petition for you, and you entered with an advanced parole document, you may be eligible to apply for your legal permanent residency (your green card) here in the United States.

Even if you have TPS or DACA, negative immigration history such as order of removal, or recent criminal activity (including many misdemeanors) may make you inadmissible into the United States even with a Advance Parole. It is important to conduct a full consultation with an experienced attorney before applying for advance parole and exiting the United States

Schedule a consult today with an experienced attorney at Hurtado Cavanaugh | Attorneys at Law.